I began my time in Koubrat really well. The team was great, and much work was accomplished on the church. I often self-ripped myself out of comfort zones whether that be to try and talk to locals or even people within the Work and Witness team. Each time I did I was rewarded with a pleasant experience, yet it did not necessarily make the next instance any easier. I was reminded that the older I get (because I have been on this earth oh so long) and in truth the more I realize about myself I am introverted particularly when I am in a new environment and even more so when I am with new people in that new environment. Being around my friends and doing things no matter of the location does not wear me out. I thoroughly enjoy it. Yet even if I am in a comfortable environment, such as camp, I am able to extrovert myself for other people. Two unknowns just take a lot out of me.
I recooperated a little over the weekend. We took a touristy day to Varna which, yes, is on the coast of the Black Sea. After much debating in my head, I realized I came too far to just sit on the beach. I jumped into the water to join a game of frisbee. I then quickly jumped out, handed my glasses to one of the grannies who laid them on my towel, and then jumped back in. And as with the Nile, I felt obligated to pee in it... which I did. :)
While the team enjoyed a successful week of construction work and the first ever VBS in Koubrat, my second week in Koubrat was greatly overshadowed with the news of a friend's death. I am still not sure I can fully accept the fact that he is gone. It was so sudden and unexpected. Due to my limited email checking, I did not find out until after the funeral had already taken place. I am not one to get homesick (as my parents know), but this last week, I have felt every mile of distance between my friends in Colorado and myself. I struggled to stay focused in work, and the effort it took to engage with people seemed even greater. The week got a bit easier as shock begun to wear off, and I felt calmer after talking with a friend on Facebook Chat. I continue to pray for Dan's family and the Golden Bell staff. I also continue to pray for God's strength to renew me in this rough beginning.
In our last night in Koubrat, there was a special gathering. We invited the Koubrat church and local families to hang out with us Americans. Balloon animals were made, and bracelets were given out. Smores, which are unknown to Bulgarians, were introduced and greatly enjoyed. Up to this point in the week, I was so tired. While I enjoyed the people, I was ready to go back to Sofia. Honestly, while I enjoyed Bulgaria, I would have much rather enjoyed the company of friends in America. So... I sat on the side watching people have fun. I then watched as some of the Bulgarians talked and began to say goodbye to the American team.
In one of the emails I received telling me about Dan's passing, the sender also gave me some encouragement. He told me not to regret my decision, for I am where I am supposed to be. I remind myself of those words often, and with that, I enjoy this day of rest as a group of England arrives tomorrow. We will work in Montana for one week. (Yes, there is a Montana in Bulgaria.) Then, we will be in Sofia working for another.
While this "ending" may not be joyful as many movie watchers prefer, I do not see "Two Weeks in Koubrat" as a stand alone film. It is more of a series, and so there is excitement and hope as it continues.
Until next time,
:)
2 comments:
Hi Cassie, once again it is good to read your update. As I read you blog, there is no doubt that, this is where you are to be. I reflect back to when we first moved to Colorado. How exciting it was, especially the call to attend the Bible College. After my graduation I have patiently waited to hear were God wanted us to go, but never received further commands. So today we serve Him at any capacity where we find ourselves. When you told us that you had changed your major to Missions, I knew that our obediance back when we moved to Colorado was the Lord preparing your path through us. In His obedience, we experience many areas of growth, some with laughter and some with tears, but all with Love. Mom and I are honored to be your parents. When people ask me about you I proudly say she is a Missionary. It has and is exciting to see you grow in the Lord. We love you and our prayers are with you. Dad
you took a pee-pee in the Nile? We will have to add that to our USP student conduct & rules orientation. Sickl
Post a Comment