Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Word

Yesterday afternoon I had my first language class. My brain felts like it was on the brink of explosion, but after processing some of it, I feel a little better. Who knew saying and asking about people's names, origins, and job could be so challenging. :) I knew this class would be an adventure, but little did I know (those infamous words) that my adventure would begin before class started.

You see, I leave straight from the school where I am teaching/volunteering. The night before I looked and looked and looked at the map to figure out the best route. I even wrote it down, so I wouldn't forget it. After school I walked to the bus stop, waited, and then got on the bus. No problem. I then rode for a while, and I got off the stop I had expected. It took a second for me to become aware of my surroundings and location, but I successfully found the trolley stop. I waited, and I hopped on to Trolley 8. I knew I needed to go 4 stops, and I would be at the circle which wraps around this Russian monument. I counted 4, but it didn't look right, so I went to five. When that still didn't look right, I got off because I didn't want to go any further down the wrong road. I thought for sure this was it, so I crossed the street in order to... I don't know. I thought I could walk around for a while and see if maybe I was just a block or so off, but I realized I only had 20 minutes until class started. I sucked in my pride and pulled out the map I had fortunately brought with me. Well, that didn't help. From what I saw, I should have been there. Apparently, I can't read city transportation maps. (Although in my defense, there are a lot of little different colored lines going everywhere.)

What was I supposed to do with time quickly counting down? I called Angela, my roommate. :) I told her I had gotten lost somehow and only had 15 minutes until my class started. I looked at street signs, and she tried to figure out where I was. Then, this older man walked pass me. I got his attention, and after some awkward attempts, I gave him my phone to talk to Angela. (Remember, I don't know much Bulgarian; that's why I'm taking my language class. However, Angela has been here for a year already; she knows a bit.) I'm not sure how that all went down, but after I hung up with Angela, this man tried to tell me where to go. I must have had a crazy look on my face because he then just gently took me by the arm and begun walking me down the street. He walked me a few blocks to the tram stop. On the way there, he confirmed where I was going, but did I mention he didn't speak English? He didn't, but fortunately Russian sounds similar in Bulgarian. Once at the tram stop, he passed me off to this lady. He told me it was in two stops; he did this by holding up two fingers. But I think he also asked the lady to make sure I got off on the right stop. When he was talking to her, I am pretty sure it came out that I was an American who was really lost and didn't speak Bulgarian. Neither of them spoke English, but throughout this short conversation, they would both look at me, and I would just laugh.

It turns out that Trolley 8 turns down where as a few others keep going straight and around the monument I was looking for. When I had looked at the map I did not notice that because I street name was on the line just before the circle and didn't take time to see what trolleys went in other ways. I just assumed it went where I wanted, but you know what they say when you assume.

When I got off the tram, I knew exactly where I was. I walked to where we were meeting for class, and I was only 10ish minutes late. This was certainly an adventure. Slava na boga for that wonderful man and sweet lady though. (Slava na boga is the first phrase I learned in Bulgarian. It means Praise to God. I learned it at church because that's how they greet one another.) After class, I got home ok, and I did not take Trolley 8. :) And, I have language class again today, so I am hoping for a better travel since I have a little more idea of how things go. But at least I can ask the person's name when I need help. :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are a brave girl, Cassie. i can't even count the number of times I have been lost, turned around, or unsure on public transportation. It isn't fun at the time but it makes for adventure and good stories. Good job being brave!! Teanna