Tuesday, January 19, 2010

On your mark...

Last week was extraordinarily intense. I had a one-week class that met the week before regular modules. It was Theology of Work, and I loved it. However, the timing of the class was unfortunate as it happened to fall on the same week as inventory at Macy's. Of course, I went to bed late the night before my crazy week began, but from Sunday to Wednesday I worked from 4 am to 10 or 11 am and then had class from 6 to 10 pm. Thursday was an all day class day (from 9 am to 9pm) that included field trips to different businesses. Friday was then work from 6am to 12pm and class 6 to 10pm. Saturday concluded it all with class from 9am to 5pm, and then instead of hitting the pillow early, I go out to see a movie with a friend which then means I got to be some time after 1am. (I absolutely loved Lovely Bones and all of its saddening glory, bytheway).

With the average of 6 hours of sleep each day (including my limited naptimes), I made it! Now, I have two weeks of no classes, and then I'll begin a new semester on February 1st. Fortunately, Macy's asked me to stay after the season, so I'll have a (small) paycheck still coming which is comforting. I have made some friends at work which makes the early mornings better.

As for the class I took last week, my eyes have been widened further of how to integrate our understanding and practices of ministry and work. They aren't separate worlds people! As crazy as it sounds (and I know it sounds crazy), but money isn't actually the point in some businesses; it's about finding joy in one's job and benefiting others while working. Thursdays field trips allowed me to meet some of the people implementing such practices. Of course, all of these people are successful, but each placed money as a secondary. The big-guns of it all was meeting Bill Dunn from J E Dunn Construction. If you don't know the name, just know he is an 86 years old, multibillionaire and the sweetest old man. He told us about his company and the people, but he never got into statistics or money. And then he showed us a view from one of the higher levels in his building and concluded the tour by showing us the workout room and the play room which included several arcades and a small basketball court. With all of the money and success he has, he is so down-to-earth!

So with a taste of craziness, I rest as much as I can before the semester begins. I have some post-work from last week's class that I hope with all of my senses to get as much done as I can before the semester begins. Unfortunately, I already find myself scraping for motivation. Eeek. Here I go, I guess. :)

2 comments:

mom said...

work/ministry

alot of variations- but I wholeheartedly agree folks need to find joy and meaning in their work

took me a while to learn that.....

Paul said...

Wow! sounds like you had a venturous week. It is so true that we need to find joy and meaning in our work. You know the type of work I am involved is not a peach, so one has to find the joy and meaning within. Thanks for the post.