Giving up something for Lent is not about penance. I am not trying to atone my sins or earn my salvation. I can't do that; only God's grace covers me, and it covers me well. However, I choose to participate in Lent as a way of recognizing what I do indulge in- not to punish myself by abstaining but to be intentional in what I do/consume. I am also trying to add in some extra-God time as I do prepare not only for Easter but for graduation. :)
This year for Lent I gave up three things- chocolate, ice cream, and soda. Even in day 1, I realize the GI-NOR-MOUS task I have ahead of me. I didn't realize how much these three things make up my diet. After eating lunch with a neighbor, I thought how good ice cream would be, but then I couldn't get it. And then I had some time before work, and since I was dead tired I decided to stop at McDs for a coffee. As I approached the door, I realized I couldn't have my favorite mocha because it's chocolate. And a caramel latte is NOT the same.
So here I am at the end of the first day of Lent knowing this may be far more stretching than giving up meat. Here I go with the fruits for dessert. :)
2 comments:
You can do it, Cassie! That is a huge change.
Wow! I so much admire your affords. Dad
Post a Comment