Monday, September 19, 2011

Breasts and Babies

One of my part time jobs is at a shelter for pregnant teenagers. It's called Mother's Refuge. It can get a bit crazy, but I love it. My hours are also a bit crazy, but I love them too... usually. Tonight is one of my long shifts. I work back to back evening and overnight shifts which means I am here from 3pm on Sunday to 7am on Monday. It can get long, but I've learned how to break it up enough.

Today's shift has been pretty good. No major incidences and several funny moments.

Definite highlight: one of the girls has a "fake baby" that she's been taking care of this last week. It's one of those baby dolls with a computer in it, so it can be programmed when to cry and such along with a memory of how quickly and how well you respond.

(REMEMBER, this is a fake baby.) Well, she comes up to me and asks, "Miss Cassie, will you breast feed my baby while I go to the bathroom?" Several girls around us burst into laughter, and I said, "... suurrreee... I will gladly do that for you."

It's a pretty fancy doll that gives you an option of putting a bottle in its mouth or a patch (aka "breast") to put over its mouth.

No comments: