Monday, November 14, 2011

Excuse the Expletive

I live near a hospital, and I live near the hood. So I hear sirens and other activity fairly regularly. I've learned that when you hear a helicopter pass over once, it is on its way to the hospital. However, when you hear the helicopter continue to fly overhead, it is looking for someone in particular.

Well, this past Saturday I experienced one of those "oh shit" moments. I was at church helping set up for the Thanksgiving extravaganza the next day. The Northeast neighborhood of KCMO is a neighborhood with more activity at night, if you know what I mean. Well, as I drove down Benton between Independence Ave and Truman, I saw a cop car with its sirens on coming towards me. I pulled over, but it turned before it passed me. As I looked at where this car had pulled over, I heard a helicopter. I then saw the police officers walking along the street pointing their flashlights towards a front yard and house. And then as I drove past, the helicopter light shined a few feet from my car on its way to the house. And in my brain, all I could think of was... "oh shit."

I wasn't in any immediate danger, but being that close to searching lights is a bit much. It's been a while since they've been searching directly in my neighborhood.

(And mom and dad or any other relative that may read this, I'm ok. I wasn't in any immediate danger. Just a friendly reminder of living in a heavily urban area.) :)

No comments: