Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving past and present

As happens occasionally, my fellow USP-ers and I read and send email updates about what we are doing and where we are doing it. I love hearing from them, and I miss them dearly. We experienced so much together in such a short amount of time; it's a special bond we share filled with tears, laughter, and much awkwardness. In one of the emails, I was reminded that it has been two years since my Thanksgiving in Uganda. I simply can't believe it has been that long! I now take time to note a single reflection on the past two Thanksgivings and this one currently happening.

1. Thanksgiving in Uganda: quote of the night said by an ex-pat sitting next to me while we were eating "Only 6 hours ago, this turkey was running around in my garage."

2. Thanksgiving in Snyder, Texas: it was my first Thanksgiving with my parents since I left for college. I went to Texas thinking I could enjoy the warmth. Instead I got a few inches of snow.

3. Thanksgiving in Turkey: turkey in Turkey has a nice ring to it. The other enjoyment is that last weekend I was sitting in snow in Sofia. Today's activities have included walking along the beach of the Mediterranean and lounging on a chair in the warm sun reading a book. We all make our sacrifices. ;)

Next Thanksgiving I hope to be around the table or maybe a tv with some of my Idaho friends. For now, I'll continue to sit back and relax. The official Thanksgiving meal is tonight. I'm not exactly sure what a Thanksgiving meal will be like in Turkey, but I heard that we are at least having turkey.

1 comment:

Jackie said...

Thanksgiving in Northern California is pretty sweet, but I am jelous of your mediterranean beach, and I wanted to let you know. I also wanted to let you know that I miss you dearly! Happy Thanksgiving!!!