Friday, December 26, 2008

A White Christmas

Christmas 2008 is my first Christmas not in America. It took a long time for it to feel like Christmas. I think part of that was due to the fact that for almost my entire life there was always the stress of classes, papers, and finals just before the grand holiday break. This year it just kind of came. However, 2 days before Christmas a friend came over and taught me how to make banitsa. Not only is the regular cheese banitsa amazing but pumpkin is even better. As it baked in the oven, the fragrance of pumpkin filling the air brought me into the Christmas spirit. For the first time, it felt like Christmas, and I was excited.

On Christmas Eve, I joined the Sunberg family and Joe to a trip to the new Starbucks in Sofia. I enjoyed a marvelous chai tea latte. I also captured some fantastic photos of the Sunberg girls which are still waiting to be downloaded off of my camera. Another exciting event of the day was snow!!! It didn't snow a ton, but it certainly snowed more than enough to enjoy a lovely white Christmas.

On Christmas morning, I woke up hearing the girls scream upstairs "Merry Christmas." I enjoyed their traditions of opening stockings, eating breakfast, and then opening presents. I gave a few gifts and also received some lovely things. It was weird not being with my parents, and it was sad. (Yes, mom, I do miss you both even when I don't say it.) :) But may it be comforting to you, Mom and Dad, to know that I was in a warm home enjoying the day with a wonderful family. The big Santa gift for the Sunberg girls was a Wii. It is awesome, and it has already been enjoyed by everyone to its fullest. I hope to get better at baseball and bowling. :)

You may know that the original plan for Christmas was to be in Romania. As lovely as that would have been, after my little deportation experience, I opted out for a Bulgarian Christmas. And it was great to just be at "home" and relax. The Sunbergs did go to Romania today (the day after Christmas) because of some needed meetings. They will have fun, but so will I because I'm at their house... with the Wii. ;)

So even though the day ended several hours ago, I wish all of my friends and family a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

No comments: