In my short transition summer, I now have a job. In fact, this last week was my first week of work. Through a referral of a close family, I am babysitting/nannying for two kids. They are 12 and 9, so it's not like I'm changing diapers all day. Still, it's not my ideal job, but it's something.
So my average day this week was: waking up at 6:15 am and then actually getting up at 6:30. Leave the house at 7:30 am. I usually arrive at their house around 8, and for the next several hours, I watch cartoons with them. We eat lunch around 11 am which is quite early, but since I am awake early, it evens out. Then we either go rollerskating or go to the park. The dad gets home around 3 pm or so, and then I go home. Overall... kind of boring.
On Thursday, the 12 year old did not want to join the 9 year old and me at the park. Figuring he's old enough to stay home, we left him behind and headed to a nearby park. I sat on the bench watching the 9 year old girl interact with some other kids there. Eventually, the kids relatively cleared out, and the girl I was watching was alone on one of these round seat twirly things. She needed someone to push her, so I closed the distance I had been safely keeping and went to push her on this swing-like contraption. Of course, I am an excellent swing pusher, and with the expression of vocal excitement, other kids realized how much fun this swing was too. A short line began. I thought I would push them for a while, and eventually, the kid I was with would get tired and leave. But she never left; she kept getting in line. And so began my professional career as a pusher of the swing. Fortunately, but after much time, there was a young little boy who didn't want to get off the swing. So I just announced that "I guess I couldn't push anyone else" and took the chance to leave.
So if nothing else works out in life, I now know that I can turn to professional swing pushing to make a living... if someone ever paid for that.
1 comment:
Good to know college prepared us for something :) You're awesome. I miss you.
Post a Comment