Saturday, April 16, 2011

Nightmares Almost Come True

When I was little, I went through this phase where I would take really fast showers because I was afraid that an octopus or other sea creature would come out of the shower head, attack, and then eat me. I don't know where this fear came from, but I reasoned... water is in the ocean, and water comes out of the shower; sea "monsters" are in the ocean, and therefore, sea "monsters" may come out of the shower too.

Well this morning, it wasn't a sea "monster," but it was still horrifying. I was getting ready to take a shower. I turned on the water as normal and waited for a good temperature. It was cold this morning, so I wanted the water to be nice and warm. Then, I pulled up the little knob on the faucet to start the shower. Just as I was about to get in the bathtub, I saw something moving in the shower drain. It was dark- kind of like the few hairs on the shower drain, but it wasn't just swirling around. It was coming out!!! For the split second, I was in wonder how weird it looked as hair emerged from the drain only to then be in pure terror and disgust when a large beetle-like bug then came forth.

I did not scream, but I kind of wanted. I wasn't sure what to do. There was no cup in the bathroom to pick it up. So I kind of watched it slip around in the water. The water current was not strong enough to send him back from where he came. And as easily as he plopped out of the drain, he was not going back as such. So then, I looked in the bathroom for something to get him out. I was not trying to save his life but put it out quicker by putting him in the toilet and flushing him. However, he would not get on anything.

And so he drowned... in my shower. I was then able to retrieve him and send him on his way via toilet.

However, I still had to take a shower. And the entire time I was in the shower, I was paranoid about feeling something crawling along my feet. Minus the rinsing hair time, I kept a close eye on the drain and might be paranoid about it for a few days.

1 comment:

Syd said...

BAH! Gross. At least it wasn't a spider though. That's what I was fearing you were working up to! I have found spiders in the shower and had to kill them and I also have to keep an eye out the rest of the shower. As little closed eye time as possible. GROSS. Glad you survived ;)