Monday, February 20, 2012

Expired in 2007, Last worn in 1983

My nerd side of me would like to flesh out this issue/topic more in a perhaps academic sort of way, but this is at least a beginning. :)

As you may or may not know, one of my jobs is as a houseparent at Mother's Refuge, a house for homeless pregnant teenagers, in Independence, MO. I work two overnight shifts, so besides bed checks and one or two hulu shows, I clean and sort... a lot. Two big projects have been the clothes closet and the food pantry. We have gotten so many donations in both which is why I have had to reorganize the two rooms.

While I am completely and utterly glad that people are donating (and this is in no way to discourage people from donating), I noticed a couple things that caused me to question how or what we donate. In the clothes closet, there were several cute tops and warm sweaters. There were also some shirts with holes and jeans that might not have been worn since I was in diapers (that would be the 80s). :) The ultimate find was a pair of stretch neon green slacks.
I'm not sure what year those were acceptable, but I can nearly guarantee none of the girls will be choosing those to wear to school, or at all, not only because of the color but also the awkward box-y shape. In the food pantry, I naturally found several expired items. We have gotten lots of donations, and sometimes new items get placed in front of the old ones- never allowing some cans or boxes to be used. However, while putting some of the new donations away, there were a few already expired items (some within this month and sadly some from some time last year). Furthermore, some of the canned goods were great- corn, green beans, beans, and so on. Yet, there were some bizarre items as well- pickled beets for example.

And so comes my rough draft conclusion... :)

-In the Old Testament, God required the Israelites to bring the best of their best for the sacrifice. Depending on their economic standing, it could have been a lamb or a bird, but it was to be spotless and healthy.
-In the New Testament, Jesus said that whatever you do unto the least of these you also do unto me (Matthew 25- sheep and goats story).
-So while I am grateful that people are donating to those in need, I wonder why sometimes it seems that we are scrounging in the back of our closet or cleaning out our pantries in order to fill the box at whatever location for the clothes/food drive.
-Of course, some will say, "beggars can't be choosers" or "at least they have something." But I don't think such people would say that to Jesus' face, so why do we say that to our fellow bearers of God's image even if they are on the fringe or outcasts of society?

With all of this running around my brain, I wonder.. what if I chose my favorite shirt or dress to donate? What if I spent less on myself or added to my budget so that I go grocery shopping specifically for others?

3 comments:

Syd said...

Oye. That happens at World Relief too. Also convicting for me. Even if it's easy to give nice things, I'm not sure I'd give away my favorite dress...

Danielle said...

It's funny, I've never even thought about this, but it's so true. Maybe people get used to donating to Goodwill, where they expect their weirdest clothing to be bought as costumes by crazy college kids. :) But it's probably more likely our carelessness. Such good food for thought.

Becky said...

Great thoughts.

When we "do unto others," it seems we satisfy ourselves with the act and forgo on the quality.

I think adding to the budget is a great idea! In that way, whatever I decide is the healthiest, best option for food or the cutest, most comfortable clothing for myself should also be what I give to others. Or, what if I give the best to others and accept second-best for myself?

Watch out, Cassie. You might change the world ;)