Thursday, February 9, 2012

Uprooting Factories Upstream

Currently, there is a conference taking place at NNU in Nampa, Idaho. I desperately wanted to go because the theme of the conference is a passion of mine. It's called Cup of Cold Water, and it's focused on Christians in compassionate ministries. Well, I couldn't afford the trip out there, but fortunately, there is free webcasting. So that is what I'm doing. Not the same, but close enough. :)

The last plenary session this evening was with Jeff Carr. He's super involved in bringing about systemic changes politically and also through the love and grace of Christ. He had so many amazing things to say, and I'm bubbled over with excitement about it all. Here's a story he told during his lecture that I just needed to share (and felt it was a little too long as a FB status update). :)

'So how do we move from compassionate ministries to prophetic witness (saying something when it's wrong) to social justice? Imagine you are in a river, and you are pulling out bodies. And after so long, you are becoming tired pulling out bodies and trying to resuscitate them over and over again. Then you realize to look upstream and see what is causing all of these people to get sick and fall in the river. You discover a factory polluting the earth and people. Now, you wouldn't stay in the river picking up bodies knowing the factory is upstream. THAT change is what it means to move from compassionate ministries to prophetic witness to social justice!'

Jeff later added that the church is still to be involved in personal transformations, but he also believes there is more in which to participate. For the bigger understanding of the Good News is not just spiritual but more holistic... it is shalom.

Amen, and amen.

1 comment:

Marissa said...

I really like that metaphor about the bodies in the river. It always challenges me to think more deeply about issues of social justice. Sounds like a cool conference! Thanks for sharing!