Those are the two teams that represented the two teams in a 3rd grade spelling game. In case you weren't sure, the teams were boys vs. girls. :) The girls' team chose their name first with their teacher. I was helping the boys. They couldn't decide between demons and assassins, so I figured together would be a good name. (They are a riot.) :) The third grade class is also a great self-esteem boosting group. Every time you enter the class students stand up and greet you. However, whenever I go into the 3rd grade room, they get all excited and enthusiastically say hello to me as one big group. They might not do that for so long, but it's nice right now. :)
Last week was the beginning of a new semester at the international school I am volunteering at which also means it was the first week of my new schedule. I was feeling a bit trapped in the international school bubble. I also was getting tired of going to the same place everyday Monday through Friday. I didn't feel very useful in what I did and wanted to do other projects but couldn't because of the time requirement I was already in. So, I spoke up and changed it.
Now, I'm going to the school twice a week- Wednesdays and Fridays. Because I'll only be there twice, I won't be doing anymore ESL classes there. I still have my 6th grade class but will only teach typing on those two days. My main job is basically being a teacher's aid for 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade. Those three teachers happen to all be Bulgarian women, so they often like for me to speak to the class so that the students can hear English from a native speaker.
Being a teacher's aid may not sound that exciting, but I enjoyed it the last two days I was there mostly because I feel that I am actually contributing in some way rather than floating in and out. Depending on the class and the time of day, I may grade papers or teach a subject such as history, health, and spelling. Also, with my free time, I am now able to do other projects. I'll be working with the Sunbergs on some projects they have which will be fun. I'm also hoping to become involved in a village that's about an hour and a half from Sofia.
1 comment:
I'm glad your schedule is better!! I bet it feels great to feel like you are actually helping now!! I bet they love hearing you speak English! :)
Post a Comment