Growing up in the Western world, I was taught that communism was bad, but now it's dead. Well, actually, it's not dead, and no one said why it was so bad. A person may say that if it's not good in practice then it's not a good theory, and I'd agree. However, I believe IN THEORY, the idea of communism may be more Christian. Now, before it sounds like I've really gone off the deep end, let me continue. The idea of communism is equality, no classes. The idea is that we think of others before ourselves. Yet, here's the problem- it doesn't work out that way. In our fallen world, selfishness takes over, and the top people reap the cream. There have been so many stories that I've heard and read about the atrocities of communism. I believe the reason is that communism in Eastern Europe did not run on the hope of equality; rather, it ran on the fear and distrust of the people which is why it did not last in this part of the world. For so many, it has truly ruined them in more than one way.
So, while communism has failed the people, I also struggle with capitalism. Now, capitalism has that "pull from the boot straps" mentality, so some people truly thrive on such a system.
So where is the balance on this fine line within these vicious cycles? I don't know. I certainly do not support communism, but I continue to struggle with capitalism as well. That is why I'd like someone to come up with a new system. It would be a system of hope and equality. It would be a system where we can thrive without costing another. And, it would be a system of enabling. I feel that is really the large piece missing after all. In communism, people are made to be dependent- forever ruining their abilities. And in capitalism, while some don't try, others simply do not have the means to succeed. We need to educate and enable people in order to break some of these cycles, find the right balance, and build a new system.
Maybe this is too idealistic, yet I find no reason to settle for what is as permanent. As a professor once suggested to me, "Just because things are the way they are doesn't mean that's how they should be" ... or have to be.
3 comments:
In Acts there is a picture of what you describe- the early believers shared wth one another and no one was in need. So the system is already in place- but the missing piece is the fact of the motivation -
just a thought from your nerdy mom
Capitalism v. Communism can be analyzed through motivation. Just like anywhere else, people are motivated to achieve the goals that bosses (or government leaders) are measuring them by. In Capitalism, people are motivated to work hard, start companies, and achieve great things because they can benefit personally from the rewards. While this may be selfish, it is a very good motivator.
In Communism (I'll use the USSR as an example), the government determines who produces what and who receives what. Let's say you run a factory that makes nails (this is a true story.) The production of the factory is measured in how many kilos of nails that you produce, because people need these nails around the country to build and repair their houses. But it is easier and cheaper for you to make 1 railroad spike than 1000 regular nails, and they weigh the same. So, the end result is that the USSR had a surplus of railroad spikes and no normal nails. There is no motivation to do the right thing, just to follow the objectives.
I've been thinking about this very thing lately. I've said that I'm a moderate socialist because I believe in the theory. Like you mentioned, though, it just doesn't work out because we live in a world where few people care about others.
My idea is this: If we could somehow reprogram people to disregard material wealth, we'd be in the clear. Everyone could live in the same kind of house and get the same food allowance (proportionate to family size). Basically, it would be a subsistence-style living arrangement; everyone has the two basic things they need, so rather than working to accumulate wealth, they could work toward the common provision of their community. Obviously this wouldn't work in the real world, but I'd love to set up a Christian commune where I could live this way! lol
Post a Comment